Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Motherly Love Means Following Through

Sometimes loving your child means helping them learn boundaries, and following through with your discipline plan, even when it's hard or not convenient.

Yesterday we went to the grocery store and the kid through a fit. Not one of his normal "I want my way" fits he's had in stores before, but a knock-down, drag-out, "I'm going to make sure everyone in this store knows I'm pissed" kind of fit.

He took cupcakes off the shelf in the bakery and threw them on the floor. He threw down the bag of chocolate chips he had been carrying for me. He fell to the floor in a crumpled heap numerous times. But I never let go of his hand, no matter how loud he screamed "Let go Mommy!!!"

Oh, believe me, I know that people were staring, and I really don't let that bother me. I know all the child develeopment manuals say to leave your things and walk out of the store, but I've never been one to do that; if he wants to throw a fit, so be it. So I made my way to the register, screaming and kicking child in tow, and proceeded to pay for my two items, while the sales person at the next register looked at me with big puppy dog eyes, and said "You doin' ok, Mom?" I'm just peachy thanks. Then she whispers, "Do you want a sucker just to get him to stop crying?" Um, no.

I had already given him his choices of stopping his behavior or getting time out when we got home...he cried and screamed all the way out into the parking lot. Once in the car, he stopped. The five minute drive home was pretty quiet. As I unbuckled his carseat, I told him to go inside and sit down in his spot. To my surprise, he did it! No screaming, no crying, no yelling, no tantrum of any kind. I started his timer and he sat for his five minutes, very quietly.


When his timer went off, he got up, walked over to me, and said, "I sorry I yelled Momma." I hugged him, and kissed him; we talked briefly about his punishment, then he took my hand and asked me to read stories. I happily obliged.

"Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers,
but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together."
- Pearl S. Buck



5 comments:

Tylaine said...

Way to go Kristin!!! I'm sure he wouldn't of learned a valuable lesson if you had just walked out. Now that takes strength! :)
Love the picture too!

Kelli said...

Good Job!! Haha, I love those people that you want to just slap in the face that say the dumbest things...makes you wonder what their kids turned out like if they hand out suckers to keep 'em quiet =) I love the quote at the end too!!

Cheryl D. said...

Wow! You're doing great! As a mother to a child who makes having tantrums a form of art, you handled the situation absolutely perfectly!

Stylist A said...

Wow Kristin... I just love this post. You are such a great mom and you can truly tell that you delt with the situation perfectly. Thanks for sharing :) happy Monday

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

I love this! You are not alone. Being a mom is tough and when they start their tantrums oh boy! Momma's job is to stay calm through all the chaos and to bring peace to the moment. Not an easy feat. Way to stick to your guns! I would have said no to the sucker too. Thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed going over quite a few of your posts. I can totally relate! I am visiting from New Friend Friday. I also love your sunset pics.